Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 5 - Time

Today I did something that I would never have done willingly in the past. I went to work without a watch. Now, I know that many of you are wondering what the big deal is, but I am (or was) a very Type-A person. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am super efficient. I am constantly aware of the time. Constantly processing where I need to be, what I need to do, how I can accomplish everything in a short amount of time.


Well, in order to find more joy, I have to relax. I've decided to start small. I'm going without a watch for a while. I think I'll accessorize with cute bracelets instead. Every time I see the bracelet instead of the watch, I'll smile - whether I feel like it or not, because I believe that if you force your mouth into an upward shape, you'll trick yourself into feeling better.


You know, time is a funny thing. When you're having fun, it seems like there isn't enough time. When you're doing something you don't enjoy, time drags. Try administering the TAKS test, where all you can do is stare at students while they take a test that is not timed. They can take all the time they want, while all you can do is watch. (I'm telling you, that is what I think hell would be like.) On the same note, Sunday afternoons rush by in the blink of an eye.


So how did I feel without my watch? Well, not really all that different. After all, I was at work and I was surrounded by clocks. But I did smile every time I looked at my wrist. We'll see how this experiment goes. Even watching students test has got to have it's blessings. Time is precious, and instead of counting the minutes, I plan to savor the moments.

A little poem from Robert Herrick, that was featured in one of my favorite movies: Dead Poet's Society.

To the Virgins, to Make Much of Time

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying:
And this same flower that smiles to-day
To-morrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of heaven, the sun,
The higher he's a-getting,
The sooner will his race be run,
And nearer he's to setting.

That age is best, which is the first,
When youth and blood are warmer;
But being spent the worse, and worst
Times still succeed the former.

Then be not coy, but use your time,
And while ye may, go marry:
For having once but lost your prime,
You may for ever tarry.

Until tomorrow ~ Carpe Diem!

No comments:

Post a Comment