Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 11 - God Bless America

This week I have been reading the book The Librarian of Basra to my students. It is based on a true story about Alia Muhammad Baker, a librarian in Basra, Iraq who saved the library books from being destroyed by the war. It is an inspirational story, and my students are amazed at the bravery of this one librarian. We calculated that if she had used backpacks to transport all the books of the library, she would have needed 3,750 backpacks!

As I read this book and discuss it with my students, I can't help but feel grateful that I live in America. Not everything is perfect, but I have so many more advantages here than I would have had in other countries. As a woman in America, my opportunities are limitless. In America, your dreams can come true if you are willing to work hard enough. Our government is a true democracy, where we actually vote for the leaders of our country without fear. Most of us live very comfortable lives, with houses to shelter us and enough food to eat. We have clean water with just the turn of a handle. There are so many great things about my country, and I'm proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment