Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 2 - Lazy Days Without Guilt

Today I had the day off and I did absolutely nothing. I stayed in my PJ's until noon, read a magazine, and took a nap. Now I typically would feel guilty for wasting a day like this, but part of finding the joy in my life is to also recognize the joy of doing nothing. It's okay to to just BE and not always DO. Of course, I have found that you do have to be careful with this because the desire to NEVER do anything can be a sign of depression. But that's not what today was about. It wasn't that I didn't have any desire to do anything, I just felt that since I'd been given the gift of an extra day off, that I should spend it in the way my body most needed, and it seemed that my body most needed rest. My mind needed time to just chill without the constant to do list that typically runs in the background. The laundry was done, the house was clean, why not sit back and enjoy this extra time for myself?

Guilt can be a very oppressive thing. Especially for those of us who are working moms. There just isn't enough time to do all the things we feel we should be doing. Let's face it, we really can't have it all. We can, however decide what really matters to us and make the most of it. My family is important to me, but I also have to take care of myself. Guilt makes me angry and I tend to take my anger out on those I love the most, so what good does it do for me to feel guilty?

So today I am grateful for extra days off that I have the opportunity to spend any way I please. I am now ready to embrace the rest of my week with an open and joyful heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment