Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 19 - Anticipation

Don't you just love it when you have something to look forward to? Even if it's far away, don't you get a little thrill of joy every time you think about it? It could be anything: getting to see your sweetheart, a night out with the girls, a trip to Disney World, or getting to watch your favorite TV show.

A key component to my depression was that I felt like I had nothing to look forward to. One part of the problem was that I was expecting for things to happen to me. Instead, I learned that I had to schedule things to look forward to because they don't just fall into your lap (I know - that's not a huge revelation for most people, but it was for me). The other part of my problem was that I wanted fantastic things to look forward to. Things like trips to Italy. Things that we couldn't afford. So I would get discouraged and depressed, and feel like my life was terrible because I couldn't do the things I wanted to do. Silly me, I had forgotten to look at all the small things that I could do.

Tomorrow I'm taking the kids to the movies, and I'm really looking forward to it. It's a small thing, but it is something out of the ordinary. We're going right after I get off from work. Just thinking about it makes my day seem brighter because I'm going to do something I enjoy with people I love.

I'll get to Italy eventually. For now, I'm going to enjoy anticipating the small things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment