Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 62 - Going for It

A dream of mine has always been to own a cute little bookstore on the East Coast, preferably on an island. It's one of those dreams that you think about occasionally and think, "Gee that would be fun." But the reality is that I don't know anything about starting a business, nor do I live anywhere near the East Coast.

So I became a librarian.

Don't get me wrong, I love being a librarian. I feel truly blessed to have a job that I enjoy so much. However, being a bookstore owner still really appeals to me. For one, I'd be my own boss. I'd also be working with people who love to read versus forcing students to read when they hate it. If it were really successful, my husband could quit his job where he works crazy hours for a group of corporate people who care nothing about him. Not only that, but being a bookstore owner suits me. Getting to putter amongst the books without having to yell at students would be dreamy.

I have a vision for my store. It's not going to be just a shop that sells books. It will be a part of the community. I will participate in parades and events around the community. There will be events like story times, book clubs, and author visits. I will exchange used books for store credit. People won't just come for books, they will come for the atmosphere. It will be a community of it's own.

What a lovely dream...

but why does it have to be that way? (Well-other than my husband telling me I can't quit my day job) Why can't I start with something small and work my way up into having my own place? The bookstore doesn't have to be the beginning of my dream, it can be the realization of my dream. Something that I work toward a little at a time.

So I have set up a tiny shop on Amazon where I am selling some used books. I have a name that I love: The Reader's Reservoir. I'm working on some ideas for book themed events. I'm going for it. I'd rather say I tried and didn't like it, than to regret and wonder "what if".

Little Book Shop - here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment