Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Neapolitan Streak by Timothy Holme

I thoroughly enjoyed this book!  It was like reading an Agatha Christie novel.  Intricate plot twists and engaging characters made this book entertaining and fun to read.
Achille Peroni is an inspector in the Italian police force.  He is a southern Italian who has been stationed in Northern Italy, specifically Verona.  When a prominent member of Verona society disappears, it seems that the politically motivated Red Brigade are to blame.  As Peroni digs deeper, he begins to realize that there is much more to the crime and that it could be because of an ancient feud that leads back to the most famous of star-crossed couples, Romeo and Juliet.

At first I was a bit leery of the tie to Romeo and Juliet, but Holme managed to incorporate the legend without being cheesy.  While the mystery keeps the book moving forward, it is the characters that make the book entertaining.  Peroni is like a suave Hercule Poirot.  He is intelligent, intuitive, and a bit of a ladies man.  I really enjoyed his interactions with his sister's family.  There is a lot of wry and witty humor, which just makes reading the story that much better.

The story is set in Italy in 1980 and it did take me a while to understand and sort through the background information.  Holme just sort of drops you in the middle of Italy with just a brief guidebook.  Once I had the basics down, I found that I liked his technique.  I liked reading about Italy from an insider's point of view, instead of from that of a tourist or expatriate.  Instead of Italy being treated like a travel destination, it was a home.  It was an honest portrayal of both the good and the bad of Italy.

I would give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment