Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sunrise by Jacquelyn Cook

Here is my second review for the Southern Literature Reading Challenge. Sunrise by Jacquelyn Cook is the story of Anne Tracy Johnston and William Butler Johnston. They are the real life southerners that built the Johnston-Felton-Hay mansion in Macon, Georgia. The story follows Anne and William through their courtship, honeymoon in Europe, and marriage. It covers their lives during the civil war and the outlines the lives of the family and friends that surround them.

While this book had the potential to be very interesting, it ended up being one of the most boring books I've ever read. I got it free on my kindle, which is a good thing. I would have been seriously disappointed if I had paid for this book. The main character Anne, was annoying. She was constantly whining and having fits of temper. Then her entire personality would turn around after a little prayer or a bible verse was given to her. Mr. Johnston could have been an interesting character, but he was kept in the background during much of the story. Not only that, but the plot just read like a timeline of events. There wasn't much storytelling involved. The worst part was when it read like a timeline of deaths. I know this time period wasn't the best for a long life expectancy, but it seems that just about everyone died in this book. It is based on fact, but it felt like there was nothing but death after death througout the book.

I would give this book one out of five stars.

1 comment:

  1. I've come across books like this before, and I think I've given up on them. Good for you for at least sticking it out! I hope your next book was much better!

    ReplyDelete