Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett


I would have to say that this book is one of my favorite books this year. Told with alternating viewpoints, The Help explores racism in the South during the pre-Civil Rights era. However, it does so without being preachy or depressing, and I think that is because the characters are written so well. I absolutely loved the characters. Aibileen, the sweet caretaker who finally gets fed up with being treated like a second-class citizen; Minny, the sassy maid with a heart of gold; and Skeeter, the college graduate who is determined to actually use her college degree. When Skeeter ropes Aibileen into helping her write a tell-all book about being a black maid in Mississippi, each of the women must decide if telling the truth is worth the consequences.


I found myself really caring about the main characters (as well as "white-trash" Cecelia Foote) and their struggles to grow in a society that did not allow for growth. The ending did leave me hanging, but I was satisfied with it. The injustices that the black women faced made me angry and grateful. While I know that we do not live in a perfectly colorblind society, I'm glad that it is not as bad as it was then. The rampant racism was appalling and sad.


I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars. A great read!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! This was one of my favorite books last year. As you said, the characters just came to life for me.

    ReplyDelete